Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Real Christmas Story

Christmas is only 2 weeks away! This is one of my favorite times of year. . . yet, for some reason I have been less than excited this year. Maybe it's because I got a late start on decorating due to school? Maybe it's because I tried to put up our Christmas tree this morning and ended up with a bloody hand and our tree lying on the floor in 3 separate heaps? Maybe it's because we are on a VERY strict budget, meaning Christmas will be very small? Maybe it's because I haven't been with my family for the past 4 Christmases (is that how you pluralize Christmas?) and secretly I'm feeling enormously homesick? There are probably MANY things I could attribute it to, but what it all comes down to is I need to change my moodiness and enjoy this special season. (yes easier said than done)
There are so many things to love about Christmas!
The beautiful lights and trees! The holiday parties!
Spending time with friends and family!
Singing Christmas carols and going caroling!
Sipping hot chocolate or cider!
Time off from school!
A time of mass service and good-doing!

And of course a time to give thanks for the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of Christ!

In trying to humble myself and get into the holiday spirit I started thinking about amazing Christmas stories that have happened in my life. The one I always come back to is the story of my gameboy! (I loved that thing)

I don't recall how old I was, but I do remember just how badly I wanted a gameboy for Christmas. I asked Santa and secretly hoped I had been a good enough girl throughout the year to deserve such a special present. To my surprise and elation on Christmas morning I unwrapped many presents, one of which was my gameboy!!!! I couldn't have been more excited! Of course Santa was real, he had heard my request, and had brought me my gameboy. I knew that my parents struggled financially and that they could have never afforded to buy all the fun things me and my 3 siblings at the time had received! I played that gameboy non-stop for years, and hold many fond memories of my little brother laying on the back of the couch looking over my shoulder trying to watch me play. When I would annoyingly tell him to go away he would sweetly respond, "Boys just have to look." :) It wasn't until I was much older that I learned the true story behind the gameboy Christmas. . .

Desperate to make me happy on Christmas my mom began sewing little dolls that she would be able to sell at a local craft store to make extra money for presents. She made dozens of dolls. (I'm not sure exactly what they looked like because honestly I don't recall her even making them in front of us) She found a craft store that would sell them and began making some extra money. My amazing mother sacrificed a lot of time and energy so that her children, and me especially, could be happy on Christmas! When I start getting sad during the holidays I just have to remember this story and the love of my mother and it puts a smile on my face and gratitude in my heart.
If my mother loves me that much I can't even comprehend the love of my Heavenly Father, who allowed His only begotton Son to suffer and die for me. When I start reflecting on the true reason for the season, the cuts on my hand, the lack of money, the homesickness all become trivial. I'm grateful for a time to reflect on what is really important in life and on my Savior and all the GREAT sacrifices he has made for me!


Merry Christmas Everyone!

1 comment: